Thursday, October 15, 2009

Thirteen Reason's Why


Author: Jay Asher

Clay Jenson, just a teenager. He has, no, had a crush on Hannah Baker. Right up until she kills herself. When a mysterious package arrives full of tapes, Clay is horrified when its Hannah's voice coming out of the speakers, and she is telling him its his fault. Clay's and 12 others, they are to blame that she is dead. "You have to listen," she tells them all, so Clay does. Hannah sends him on a wild tour of the town and Clay spends the night finding out just what Hannah Baker went through, the real Hannah Baker. There isn't much for Clay to do, except listen, and wait, to find out how he contributed to the death of Hannah, the most perfect girl he had ever known.
Personal Opinion:
I found this book compelling. When I was done, I found myself looking over the last few days and wondering if there was something that I could have done to trigger someone. I felt like this was a wonderful book but like many things we have to be careful of ideas. There are many aspect of this book to take into account while reading, what message is being sent and how can this be interpreted. There is a sense of blame that Hannah places on many of her classmates that she herself should have taken account for. But this also makes us all wonder how our actions affect others.


Warnings: There is language and there is lots of sexual content.

No comments:

Post a Comment