Author: Ben Mikaelsen
Summary:
Cole Matthews is trouble, plain and simple. After a particularly cruel beating to a class mate, Cole is given a choice a Native American experiment call the the justice circle or jail. He chooses the justice circle, for all the wrong reasons, to run away, to prove he can do what ever he wants. Once he is left alone on the island and he fails to escape is mauled by and gigantic white bear, the infamous Spirit Bear. After months in the hospital, Cole is given a second chance to change, really change. Cole decides to try, and with the spirit bear's help Cole can change for the better.
Personal Opinion:
I was shocked by this book, I didn't know what to think when I started it. Turns out a strange idea on how to change delinquents and a mythical bear can make for an amazing book. I was extremely interested in the actual Justice Circle that is practiced, I have always wondered if sending young adults off the be punished in harsh environment is really the best thing or if we are just perpetuating the cycle. I do not know if this is the answer for every young person but I did find my self thinking about how a system like this could really turn a person's life around.
No comments:
Post a Comment